Skip to main content

One Night with Ji Yu Jin

It’s been 8 years……EIGHT YEARS????? Gosh, that was how long it has been for me to step on stage with Ji Yu Jin. Aisay, don’t want to admit that I am old also cannot lah.

Even if it was just one song that I sang with Ji Yu Jin ‘What’s Up”, the memories came flooding back. A fan of Ji Yu Jin emailed me a couple a little less than a week ago about Ji Yu Jin being back in town after long stints in other parts of the country. This time, they’re back in PJ/KL in the club scene. So, acting upon the tip-off from the fan, I gathered two friends who are into the canto-rock scene (not everyone’s into rock….canto-rock at that) and headed on over.

Ji Yu Jin is currently singing in Club 18 in Bangsar Avenue right now and getting there is a harrowing experience in itself if you’re heading over from Damansara. How to get over the other side? How to get over to the other side of the road, niamah!!???? Wrong turn here, wrong turn there!

Beforehand, I called Louie, Ji Yu Jin’s leader and Joe, the lead singer to get the directions already….but still got lost wor. Stupid-nya.

Anyway, I was caught by surprise when I arrived. Club 18 in Bangsar Avenue is damn nice, number one. Ji Yu Jin, in the years that I have not seen or sang with them is now damn good, number two. 8 years ago, all of us were struggling to master the art of performing on stage. All of us either cannot remember lyrics, don’t know how to dance, cannot find identity or don’t know how to improvise on the musical instrument that we were playing. It took eight years. Let’s just say they got it down pat.

Although I knew I was probably going to be called up on stage to sing, I didn’t really want to. I sang a lot of songs with them but I cannot remember the lyrics for all of them. I have been relying on lyrics a lot, you see. I’ll be honest, in order to perform on stage 100%, you need to remember the lyrics. But it’s not an easy task because a singer is required to remember lyrics for hundreds of songs under the band’s repertoire.

Aiya, let’s just say it’s my weakness lah. Very bad memory.

Anyway, I wasn’t too keen on singing but if there’s one song I know I can remember 80% of and will hit the crowd with, it’s What’s Up by Four Non Blondes. I mean, if you don’t know the song, raise your hand. If you don’t know how to sing the chorus, raise your hand. If you don’t know how to sing ‘Hhhheeyyyyyyyy….’, raise your hand!

So, actually…..I kept safe lah. Hee hee hee….. A song that hits the crowd and something I can get the crowd to sing FOR ME while I try to remember the lyrics to the following part of the song.

But still, I cannot remember the sequence of the song so, that’s another problem. The band had to be good enough to follow me because I am the blur one on stage although I hold the mic and the crowd.

I say this from the bottom of my heart. They’re top notch now. I am really proud of Ji Yu Jin right now because I know how Ji Yu Jin struggled and sacrificed for their passion in music. 8 years, folks. For some of them, it’s a decade of dedication. I can’t imagine myself doing the same thing Ji Yu Jin did.

Ji Yu Jin is a recording artiste in Malaysia and yet, not a lot of people know of them. The market for canto-rock in our country is very narrow, hence, they run the pubs. Which is a good thing, actually. They get to build a fan base throughout the country. If things get good for them, they will find a bigger fan base in other parts of the world. I don’t want to go into the Malaysian music industry sucks thing again because I said it a lot of times liao.

A few more facts:-

Ji Yu Jin’s garb and makeup and hairstyle very ‘de-in’. (very in)

Their song repertoire has improved and most band members can probably tipu their way through an English or Malay song now. Last time, cannot really do that and Joe’s only English song was ‘I don’t want to miss a thing’ and now can sing ‘Livin’ la Vita Loca’ ROCK style. Fu-yoh!

Drummer is SSSUUUPPPPEEERRRBBBB! I say this because most of the time, the drummer has to lead the way. The subtle drumroll, the little tap here, the knock there to indicate a silent signal to the other band members. As in the case of me singing on stage that night, the drummer had to watch me and listen very closely as to which BLURRR note or part of the song I am going to sing! KUDOS, man.

Louie’s keyboard skill has improved TREMENDOUSLY! Here I am taking piano lessons and there he is, learned it all himself and performing for real. Shame on me.

Joe’s voice is rockier than ever! You don’t get a voice like Joe’s in Malaysia a lot. He’s rock but think very rough Rod Stewart voice. Crispy and Rough. Not the Malay song screeching kind of songs. The moment he sings, you’ll sit up and listen because you don’t hear this kind of unique voice in Malaysia a lot. I’ve seen lots of aunties, tai-tais and tow-teng-muis fall for his very rough exterior mingled in with his boy-ish smile.

All their guitarists are top-quality ones

Very sweet yet spunky lead female singer!

All in all, I am super proud of Ji Yu Jin right now. They’ve really impressed the friends brought there and some of them asking me when will be our next visit! Without a smidgen of doubt, Ji Yu Jin rocks right now!

So, if you’re in PJ or KL, be sure to stop by at Bangsar Avenue, Club 18 for a big dose of Ji Yu Jin. You won’t be disappointed. Club 18 is located directly opposite of NSTP in Bangsar.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yaaay!! Ji Yu Jin rocks big time!! And you were awesome too Marsha! You by far outclassed their singer!

I'll add some extra things that you didn't include in your blog. When she sang "What's Up", the entire club roared along and sang the song together. Everybody was screaming their lungs out, including me.Her vocals were top notch I tell ya! At the end of the song, we all gave her a standing ovation and certain cries of "We want more!" could also be heard.

All in all, I can say it was a truly amazing experience for both her and the fans alike, right Marsha? Cheers!
Jamie said…
cuz, very sorry to hear that I have never heard nor seen JYJ before BUT will be making a beeline to the place as soon as time permits.

My all time fav is Freddy and The Flintstones...normal for an old timer like me loh..hehehehe
Jamie said…
ooops...typo...

should be "sorry to say" instead of "sorry to hear".KNN, really getting old liao shit!!
Anonymous said…
idan, WOW! Thanks for adding all of that for me. As I told you, I was thinking of not singing and even attempted to hide in the toilet before that. But it was really great fun. As I always say, the biggest reward for a singer or stage performer is when the crowd gets going! And the uproar sent me up to HEAVEN. PARADISE.

So, yes, it WAS an amazing experience.

Thanks for letting me know their whereabouts!

jamie, it's ok, not a lot of people have heard of them although they're really good now. the night i was there, they have quite a number of chinese, malay and english numbers too, so, canto-rock fans will also enjoy the visit.

yeah....we ALL getting old liao. you should see me headbang my way through the song and sweat like shit, breathing like a donkey after that.

now, if i was still eighteen.......
Anonymous said…
Lol, I did notice that you suddenly left your seat in the middle of the performance at one time. And you took unusually long! So you've been hiding huh?? Hahahaha. Oh well, it doesn't matter. That night belonged to you. You rock Marsha!!
Anonymous said…
You go girl!

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe