Skip to main content

A Full Saturday

I have a new nephew, all of one month old! We celebrated his full moon on Saturday where all the relatives from the in-laws’ side attended. I’ve forgotten how it felt like to hold a tiny baby, how amusingly yet touchingly small their feet, hands, fingers and toes are. The smell of baby fine hair aroused long-forgotten feelings of joy of being a new mother. I look at my two almost-grown kids and can’t help but feel the feeling of joy being evoked. I keep telling my single or married but childless friends that they won’t know the feeling of being a parent and why we are willing to sacrifice so much for them until they have their own. The overwhelming wave of emotions is indescribable. There are no words on earth that could put those feelings into words. I am convinced about that. Even as a writer, I can’t adequately put the emotions down on paper….well, not in words that would do the emotions justice. The kids were majorly overjoyed with the new addition and I have a feeling this new addition is going to be the King the next generation being so well-loved by everyone. Six immediate cousins from this side of the family and countless relatives all waiting to coo over him. I know my kids are so concerned about the new baby that they were literally pounding me into submission about having a new baby – but no-lah, no way am I having another child. I can’t imagine having to go through the whole thing all over again. As joyful as it is to have kids, it’s a lot of hard work raising them and I am very sure I am never going to subject myself to all of that again…not when I’ve got my career and life together in one piece and moving in the general right direction. The in-laws were beyond the moon during the dinner. For the first time ever since I married into this family, I saw my mother-in-law YAM SENG with people all around the table. It’s common to see her husband and her sons do it very enthusiastically but for her? It was like WOW!!! Doubtlessly, she’s happy beyond words! And she topped everything else by actually singing a song with the karaoke system! Wah-lieu-eh!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Believe me, I wasn’t the only one who was surprised by her!! But it’s good to see her so happy, she deserves to be this happy! And father-in-law was obviously over the moon as well and got tipsy. But then so did half of the relatives who attended. Come to think of it, the kids were in the same state, running all around with each other and breaking all those Styrofoam letters that the staff had clipped up on the backdrop of the stage into little-little pieces and throwing them into the air. As with gatherings like this, the moment they see a karaoke system up, the first thing they do is to come up to me and say, “Ah! You cannot escape. Tonight you must perform ah. Must sing ah!” Honestly, I felt a bit awkward about it and initially refused and said, “Don’t want lah, let others sing lah” and I pointed to the other good singer which is my father-in-law, telling him to advance on him instead. I would rather sit back and just eat my food and enjoy my shark’s fin soup. Some relatives would walk in, spot me and start pointing to their kids, “Nah, nah, that one lah, aiyo, she can really sing” and I would flick my hand at them and asking them to ‘sssshhhhhh!!’. Believe it or not, it feels a bit like being a goldfish in a tank but I don’t blame them or anything lah. They were being really nice and appreciative, that’s all but it felt strange. Last week, we had a wedding dinner and they came up and asked me to sing as well but LUCKILY there was no karaoke system there! :-) So, during the full moon dinner, cannot escape because my in-laws were literally “Sing lah, go sing!” How to object to so many people? I don’t know, it just felt weird….maybe I no longer have the confidence. Maybe it’s because I’ve not been singing publicly for some time. Maybe it’s because they have such high expectations of me. Maybe it’s because I have high expectations of myself. While they would have cheered and clapped anyway even if I went out of tune, it’s NOT ALRIGHT with ME if I went out tune, that’s the problem! When you sing professionally, it’s work and I have not learned how to shake the feeling of ‘singing is work’ yet. I should sing more at functions like this so that I can fully enjoy singing again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe