Skip to main content

At Camp 5, 1 Utama: Kids' Rescue Mission

The kids had a wonderfully exciting day today. Now, this is as extreme as this mother is going to get. Mommy goes Paintball, kids go mountain-climbing...I think I've fulfilled the criteria of offering my kids a fun and exciting life as a kid. :-) It was one of their friends' birthday party and they're a little bored of KidzSports...that's for BABIES, anyway, they say. So, off to Camp 5 then, says the birthday boy's mother. Camp 5 in 1 Utama is located near Neways Karaoke, for those who have never been there before. It's a neat little corner tucked up on the roof of the massive shopping complex. Anyway, the kids had tons of fun although a little apprhensive when they saw how high the 'rock' was. It's actually quite neat and if I didn't feel like throwing up whenever up on higher grounds, I would have wanted to try it as well. The highlight of this party came in the form of a rescue mission. As we all know, when one is frightened, there's always the fight, flight or FREEZE reaction. Most kids naturally choose the FIGHT instinct over the FREEZE reaction but some kids are just geared differently. This boy, a very good-natured boy with an ever-ready smile, went up with a smile but nearly came down in tears. Actually, we were happy that he was down at all. I did not notice how long he's been up there until I hear one of the instructors asking my Elder son to go up and show him how to hold the rope with both hands and lean back with legs stretched out in front of him. Then I noticed this figure completely frozen on the spot, trying to decided whether to let go or hang on. He lets go, then grabs it back, lets go only to grab it back. Elder son went up and tried to persuade the boy to let go. He told me that the boy told him, "I need some help. I want to get down" but clearly, he's terrified and frozen. My son failed to get him to budge. A closer friend went up to tie a second rope around his friend so that the marshalls can yank him away from the wall and pull him down failed as well. Finally, one of the female marshalls was instructed to go up and unlock the boy from the wall. Even this was done with much difficulty. It took the girl two tries to get the boy to release his death grip on the hooks on the walls! Anyway, all in all, it's been a fun experience for the kids. All I can say for myself is that I am happy that I did not get a heart attack. Video footage of rescue mission coming soon! Hee hee hee.... We're not really laughing at the boy but the thing is that the marshalls down there were cracking jokes like, 'No, no...don't climb back up' or 'Come on, buddy, you can let go. It's easy, buddy, come on. Let go!!!' I learned that in rock-climbing, your biggest enemy is not only the ground below because you can simply ignore it. But what you cannot ignore is the wall in front of you. Slamming against the wall because of wrong technique is just as damaging as going down vertically. It's not an easy thing to do so, can you blame a nine-year-old for being frozen up there? I think not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe