Skip to main content

This Post Is Not About Hiking

Hiking is my thing these days because it is a source of strength for me. Each step you take moves you in the right direction. You MUST move otherwise you'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere. I am in a very trying mood right now and I will explain later but this post is not really about hiking or life in general. It's about something inevitable. So you start off the journey looking forward to finishing it and feeling of achieving something great in the end. Along the way, you get nice scenery. It's OK scenery but we take whatever we can get, right? This is life, you don't really get to choose all the nice things ALL THE TIME. In fact, sometimes you meet monkeys. You are scared that they'll grab or bite you but if you don't move, they might and you'll never get past them. So, you move on, one step at a time. Each lamp post that I go past marks an achievement. At this stage, I've walked past 32 lamp posts. Incredible, I think. I didn't even feel anything yet. Hoping that you won't meet anymore 'friendly' animals, you move on and on and on....enjoying the scenery, listening to the songs that you've uploaded into your phone or iPhone or whatever. The music keeps you company and before you know it, you've walked past.... ....63 lamp posts! How did THAT happen? At this point, I remember, this is where the slope is the most difficult!! It's almost 45 degrees angle and you're straining every leg muscle in there. The music, I think, it keeps you company. At this point, I got really tired and wanted to sit down for a while! I mean, this steep slope is really killing me! How many more lamp posts do I have to go past before it goes down hill? Then I pulled out my phone and played a suitable song....Mission Impossible.....techno version! I feel incredibly pumped up now, I can do this! And before I know it, I've walked past.... ....81 lamp posts! This is where it goes down hill if you want to know. It's down hill now and I break into a slight jog, completely enjoying the fact that I've come this far. I think I danced a little along the way because this is the privilege of a work-at-home person. I get to choose the time I go for these hikes. I go when everyone else is working and no one is there to watch me dance to Mariah Carey's 'Obsessed'. This is where the talk about hiking ends. Each time I hike, it's tough. Sure, it gets easier and adapt to the monkeys, the snakes (no, no tigers yet although at one point, I thought I heard a roar). You get uphill, you choose a song that gives you the energy to fight quivering muscles. You get downhill, you choose a song to jiggy with it. This is the way life should be lived because you kind of don't know when the journey is going end. Why live it cursing everything that you walk past? Why live it wanting so much more than what you already have? You have all that you need and you learn from it. This post is dedicated to Uncle Bob who just passed away today. As with all news about death, it makes you think a lot of life. And for me, I realize that living is a lot like the hikes that I take, they're marked by achievements (lamp posts) and experiences that you can control how to react to. You choose to fight the fight by energizing yourself. (Mission Impossible) You celebrate with a dance when it's over. (Obsessed) With Uncle Bob's passing, I will live it that way now. No more moping around like life owes me more because life does not owe me anything. It is I who owe it to myself to choose how to react to each given situation that I have to go through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe