Skip to main content

Family Wisdom from The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari - Robin Sharma

Maybe it is because I skipped the first book that I wasn't familiar with the writing style and had no understanding, knowledge about who Julian was. I started out thinking that Catherine was the central character. For those of you who are in the same position as I was, Julian IS the monk who sold his Ferrari. The dude who was this magnificent magnet for money, handsome lawyer who wins hearts and clients like he was a Brad Pitt. Or George Clooney. Or Chow Yuen Fatt if you are into Chinese. Pick your own handsome, rich celeb.

Basically, Catherine is Julian's little sister, someone he left behind when he sold his mansion and Ferrari.

Like him, Catherine was undergoing a major life-changing event in her life and Julian thought he could come back to shed some light on some things for her....like family life.

No surprise at all, before this 'incident', like Julian, Catherine is a high flying executive and business owner. Nothing in life is that easy. So, Julian came back to bring back some good ole balance.

Yup, that is the basis of the entire book.

Maybe I read a whole lot of Buddhist books every other day (because the books are free and I live near a temple which supplies me with them?) so, many of the things mentioned, situations explained and principles shared are no strangers to me. It got boring by the time I made it to the middle.

I hardly ever not finish reading a book that I start reading. There are very few exceptions maybe because books are expensive and I feel terrible for abandoning the story or author (because he/she spent much time writing that stuff up) and trees have been uprooted and cut up to make the paper that I am holding in my hands right now.

Did I stop? Nope. I didn't. Because there are so many quotes and principles that I know I can use as reminders in the book. I didn't like the 'story' because there really isn't a story in the book. It is just Julian being a super awesome human being and Catherine being a little thick.

Example: 'Real joy in life is like peeling back layers of an onion' - Julian. 'What?' - Catherine
Or: '*principle and making a whole lot of common sense' - Julian. 'So you're saying that the true purpose of life is to discover our true talents and special strengths?'

I had mental 'duhhhh????!!!' throughout the book. LOL

I love Robin Sharma and I follow him on Twitter and he is like this never-ending supplier of positive thoughts and thoughtful reminders. Sometimes, I get the tweets and I go 'That's right! Thanks for the reminder, Robin! Marsha, let's GOGOGO!'

So, yes, I had some trouble getting through it because of Catherine. She didn't have to be this dumb, did she? Or maybe there are people out there who are really like that, maybe, perhaps, I don't know? The book doesn't sell you religion, one thing's for sure but I think many of those logic, quotes and phrases are stuff that I expose myself to already, anyway, that I think it didn't really kick it for me.

I could be saying this right now but this book is a keeper because of one fact alone, there is a plethora of reminders in this one. All those quotes and sayings and teachings that I could use every now and again.

So, yeah, on to the next book, a lighter read this time.


Lovelovelove,
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe