Skip to main content

Competitive vs. Compassionate

Negative : Can't say that I've been having the best days of life since the start of 2017
Positive : I'm not dead yet. Do better!

****

In other news, I've bookmarked this article that I read some time back that made me want to kiss the writer. The survival of the fittest vs. The survival of the kindest. Like the writer, I've always believed that in order to be a good leader, you need to be with the people who are behind you, not against them. Otherwise, no one's going to be behind you for very long. Hence, I've mentally counted the reasons why the concept of the 'Survival of the fittest', in the real world or at work, has too many loopholes.

The way to the top of anywhere is always about reaching out and being compassionate of others. For example, you can't climb Mount Everest alone. You need a professional and if there are others who are weaker than you are, you reach out to help them. This way, everyone gets to the top of Mount Everest. You can't when you are hell-bent on reaching there first and tear your way through (including the guide you hired, Good Lord - hahaha).

We've often heard that if you want to succeed in life, you need to subscribe to the idea of "survival of the fittest." Success, we are commonly told, has to be grabbed; it has to be taken or someone else will get it.

In many parts of the world, the above excerpt may be true but the way I see it, that's what's wrong with the world today. Everyone trying to grab opportunities from each other and clawing their way to the top while stepping on the shoulders of their colleagues or family members. Using the above method, by the time you reach the top, you're going to be alone.

I guess, the only situation whereby this is applicable is in sports because...heh...you can't help another person become an Olympian because you're there to BE an Olympian.

And there's also another argument that I kind of disagree with and its that noncompetitive men are unattractive while compassionate ones lose out on all the 'good stuff'. Er...for me, the opposite is true. The harder you try to impress, the bigger a turnoff you become. Give me a buff man and I'll run. Give me a smart and compassionate one, I'm in.

Wilson calls our "selfish activity" in interpersonal relations "the Paleolithic curse" that "hampers" success at all levels where groups of humans interact. Although selfishness may have been an advantage during the Paleolithic Era, when Homo sapiens lived more independently of each other, Wilson contends that it is "innately dysfunctional" in our highly interconnected societies and world.

Maybe it's got to do with the change of times because Nerds Rule the World these days. You can make a living on Instagram and YouTube, for Crissakes, these days, you know what I mean?

Selfish people and even bullies may win a couple of rounds or sets in the game of life, but they rarely win the match or game; it is the compassionate people who win.

Sure, if you are losing to selfish and competitive people and are feeling a little frustrated with life, be patient. Here's what I personally think, if you wait long enough, persist enough, they'll be smelling your smoke soon enough.

In case you've missed the link to the more comprehensive article above, I'll be helpful by posting it here so that you don't have to scroll up. See? I'm being nice. hahaha Here it is again.

Image credit : Freeimages.com by Teak Sato


Love,
Marsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe