Skip to main content

Update : Touching Base with our Penang People

Although we started off with grand plans to cuti-cuti Malaysia, for some reason, we ended up in Penang Island instead...and my cousins and sister were laughing about how their event-planning went awry. We know coordinating something like this is a task for the brave.

But I think it was fantastic, though. It allowed us all to touch base with each other still and the bungalow we rented in Tanjung Bungah was quite the perfect fit. It was by the beach, not too far from the Georgetown city center and was spacious enough to fit all of us. 

Horizon of clear, blue skies marked by skyscrapers
Billowing clouds lining up like ducks in a row
I don't know about the rest but we were just a tad worried about the floods and possible rain, considering the fact that Penang's just recovered from a major flood but as you can see from the 2 pictures above, it was blistering hot...almost like the sun's way of saying sorry for dumping a part of the ocean on the tiny island before this.

Slippers in the Sand
A hi-bye experience in Penang with my kids
Enchanted by the enchanting scenery atop the rocks
With the rocky beach being right outside, literally, our doorsteps, we could not resist going out to enjoy the scenery. It has been rather stressful for me and the kids and the beckoning of the ocean waves and the lulling sound of each of its reproach towards the white, powdered sands peeled away the layers of stress. You only need a few hours to feel its effects.

To the people of Penang, it's something they see everyday. To us, it was such a welcomed change from the concrete suburban scene. 

Roaring golden dragon making its mark outside the Thai Buddhist temple
Guarding the gates of the temple...plus two
Picture taken with grandparents and uncle in the background. One baby missing in the foreground because he was fussing with discomfort. Credit : Mandy Maung
We also visited the Thai and Burmese Temples (where the large sleeping and standing Buddhas were) complete with teens and babies to visit the family shrine. To introduce our grandparents and uncle to the new peeps added to the family tree. 

I let the kids marvel at the strangeness in Penang's architecture (strange in a good way - because we need more of these UNESCO sites), the almost-broken buildings and iconic landmarks around the island after eating in an old-school traditional restaurant. They had some western food the night before and were chastised by their friends with 'You go to Penang and you eat Western food??!!' I didn't even have to say a word. #lol

We loved the room...and the AIR-CONDITIONING
We popped by the Dark Mansion Glow in the Dark Museum but it was not worth it at all. The 'museum' was small, we were rushed through the experience while others waited for us to finish exploring their exhibits and it was done in a matter of minutes. Definitely not recommended and not worth the RM25 (for Malaysians) per person we paid for it. So, if you asked me, don't waste your time and money.

Baby Blue at Hin Bus Depot
Salvaged leftover of a time-ravaged bus depot
Shine beyond the peeling paint and tattered bricks
What was worth it was, on the other hand, a non-museum : The Hin Bus Depot where I met up with Krista and her husband, Nic. I didn't know what I was walking into because all she asked me to do was to turn up at the former bus depot. The depot has been turned into one of the most random art attractions in Penang. Described as the ruins of a former bus depot, there are artwork, live music, food trucks, abandoned sheds, plank outhouses, cute little stone statues...and what's that a disco ball?!?! #lol

It was snazzy! And maybe because it was the weekend, the place was abuzz with activities of all kinds...kids rolling by on their scooters, moms offering their delicious carrot cakes, air-conditioned cafes with outdoor patios, palate-pleasing chocolate muffins and brownies, fancy jewelry, organic homemade products, dolls, decor items and much, much more! It's so much more dapper and chic than KL's Central Market where it reeks of modernity and lacking in personality. AND, frankly, art.

A Penan Women Project tote and personally-made pain-relief ointment from friends
I did buy a handmade bag that was made under the Penan Women Project from Krista and Nic gave me a bottle of his 'prototype' ointment which can be used for any kind of pain. Smashing! Can't thank these wonderful people enough!

Mandy and me, 12 years difference, same temperament, LOLCredit : Mandy Maung
We returned after a hot day of prancing around without an umbrella or sunscreen to the bungalow and I was welcomed to a durian feast! HEAVEN! But hell for my kids but too bad for them because they were outnumbered by durian lovers and non-Durian-loving Penangites are already used to tolerating its (I would lovingly call it sweet aroma but I'll be fair lol) strong scent. 

Honestly speaking, there was only one other time when I roamed Penang on my own, willed by my own interests. Because I have relatives staying here and I rarely drove to the island, I've always followed along with the others, allowing them to make the decisions while I tagged along. 

But with my kids (bigger now than before), I played a bigger role in planning the sadly-numbered days this time. 

When the sun shines, fall in love with the shadow
With Penangites being so incredibly proud of their heritage and FOOD, I came back heavier and with promises of even MORE food when I return. This is Penang. 

There were dinner gatherings, trips to the beach, midnight beer sessions, fishing and short trips to some sites around the island and it was fulfilling. We really SHOULD do this more often!

Break over, back to the grind,
XOXO,
Marsha

BONUS : cute baby! XD

A post shared by Marsha Maung (@marshamaung) on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe