Skip to main content

Book : Paper Towns - John Green

The reason I picked up this book was the name 'John Green'. I've read and enjoyed (tragically so) The Fault with our Stars, and I've loved learning about American and World history through The Crash Course where the Green Brothers, John and Hank, cram facts written by their former history teacher (and other people along the way) into a Youtube 10-minute video. The videos are fabulous for people who are curious about things but don't have much time on their hands.

They have everything from 'Tea, Taxes and the American Revolution' to 'Alexander the Great' under their World History Channel.

I'm so curious and geeky. Anyhooooo.....

Paper Towns - John Green
The Concept of Paper Towns
The book is a bit of a surprise and disappointment. The sound of 'paper towns' is so intriguing. It's actually a way for the mapmakers of the past to 'copyright' their work by inserting 'non-existent' towns into the maps that they make so that if someone copied it town-for-town and the 'paper town' appears, they know that the map has been copied.

But the book reads more like a teenager crime-solving mystery book except that it is filled with hormone-filled boys who are more intrigued by women than the paper towns.

Parties, Proms and the Mysterious Popular Girl
The group of teenage boys, as geeky as John Green the author is, are going through a stage of their lives whereby prom is coming, everyone's moving onto the next stage of their lives, they have parties and fall in love with the girls in their midst. Except that it is injected with this strange girl that the protagonist has been smitten with ever since she moved into the house next door. Many years later, right before the end of school year, she disappears after taking him on a wild, unexplainable, revenge-filled car ride through the dead of the night. Something the clean-cut, law- and parent-abiding Quentin has never done before.

It's like Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, The Baby-Sitters Club and Sweet Valley High after that.

Brothers in the Hood
What I liked about the story, however, was the brotherhood that sometimes comes out as crude, rude, obscene, raw, teenage-style boorish and cheap. But I liked how it is quite on-the-dot. I know because I've raised 2 teenage boys (I am STILL raising them) and girls (like me) sometimes find it excessively aggressive and unnecessary but that's how brothers are. That's the way men/boys do things in the brother-HOOD. They might make you want to kill them but if someone else tried to, they'll protect their right to do it first.

Book vs. Movie
It took me quite some time to finish this book, though. I bloody watched the movie halfway through. Yeah, I know. I'm the spoiler-seeking book-reader. But having finished both, I understand why they made some changes to the movie. There was no way to fit the Margo that John Green had envisioned into the movie. Her mind needs a whole twisted movie or book on her own.

Margo is dark as shit and she's like a 40-year-old going through a mid-life crisis at the age of 18. She was perhaps traumatized by an early-childhood event (but did not speak up about it) who didn't have anyone to talk to. Her only thought was of leaving, of getting to a place where no one can find her. Where she's alone, completely alone with her thoughts in her own world. Pretty hard to stomach.

If you've watched the movie, Margo is sweeter than what John Green made her out to be.

Come Back to Real Life, Quentin
What I can't get is the incessant obsession Quentin has with Margo. Even when his friends tried to distract him with real life, he refused to be derailed and kept on with his clue-hunting. I felt like screaming 'Get on with your life, boy!' Are all teenage boys like that? O...M....G.... lololol

Overall, I wish I didn't watch the movie halfway through but I enjoyed the book. It recounted many unnecessary things and dragged on for a bit but it's an enjoyable read. Maybe people are really like that in real life. *shrug*

XOXO,
Marsha
p.s. These days, I pick up most of my books from BookXcess where the books are half-priced. If you like it, you, too, can get it online. This is NOT an ad. BUT...if Bookxcess wants to sponsor me, I won't complain. LOL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe