Skip to main content

The Yin and Yang of Winter Solstice

Winter solstice to most of us means making and eating 'tong yuen' or also known as Dongzhi Festival, the traditional Chinese way of marking the shortest day albeit the longest night of the year. There are a lot of scientific and meteorological explanations for this and you can refer to Wikipedia for the world's interpretations for this. It ranges from time for some animal species to mate to major astronomical events.

But to the kids, it means rolling those colorful dough balls and eating them with a ginger, pandan, sugary concoction.
Worldwide, interpretation of the event has varied across cultures, but many have held a recognition of rebirth, involving holidays, festivals, gatherings, rituals or other celebrations around that time - Wikipedia
The Winter Solstice Sky on my side of the world, Malaysia
The origins of this festival can be traced back to the yin and yang philosophy of balance and harmony in the cosmos
The kids are no longer little...they're nearing adult age, with some stretching their wings across in another region, which serves as a constant reminder that there's really no time like the present.

Kids gather to make colorful tong yuens
Any time they get to come together is precious not only for them but for us parents too. We've watched them grow up together since the time they were born. They've fought, cried about, bit each other, made jokes and ganged up on one another the way cousins and siblings would.

I suspect the tong yuen days for these kids will become rarer and rarer.

Making naturally-colored tong yuens
Call me sentimental or whatever but I truly appreciate the fact that they still get the chance to have these small little gatherings, no matter how rare. One day, when we're all old and rickety, we will remember these numbered days of coming together under one roof and making these.
The festive food is also a reminder that celebrators are now a year older and should behave better in the coming year
Some less traditional families don't always celebrate the festival and honestly, most old folks do it for the sake of the young ones. So, don't feel bad if you don't celebrate it. You can always try to make your own with this tang yuen recipe (AllRecipes) and invite your friends or colleagues over for some drinks!

If you don't like the unnatural food coloring, you can make the green with pandan, blue with clitoria ternatea (butterfly pea flowers), red/pink with mashed up dragon fruit, and yellow/orange with mushed pumpkin. At least, that's what I saw being made here. You can share your own recipe if you have another way to making the colors naturally.

As you can see below, everyone or every family is a little different. You do you.

Muaks and Love,
Marsha

Merry Christmas to everyone who is celebrating and Happy Holidays to those who are just enjoying the days off!


A post shared by Marsha Maung (@marshamaung) on


A post shared by Rebecca Wu (@rebecca2la) on

p.p.s. If you find some pictures or words offensive, would like your pictures removed or find grammatical errors, please forgive me. Me human. Please feel free to let me know and I will remove or edit said offensive stuff as immediately as I can get my ass to my computer or, if possible, on my phone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stargazer - Stretch Those Sides

I have been doing this pose, part of Cosmic Dance (a type of yoga, I am assuming), called Stargazer pose without knowing it is called Stargazer's pose a lot in the past. You see, sometimes, I don't follow the rules and come up with my own stretches and poses. It is fun. I have on some music, nice, soothing music or just anything I can click on. Then I go with the flow, letting my hair down. Just moving to the music...and that is when I come up with the above Stargazer's pose. This pose really stretches your sides. Keep your eyes on the outstretched hand if you are keeping it pointed to the top, as if you are waving or connecting to a higher energy from the Universe. Your arms will ache a little but hey, toned arms, here you come! :-) For those who want a bigger stretch, it is safe to slowly and gently move the lifted hand towards your back...don't overdo it, listen to your body's complaints and respect it. You don't have to prove anything to anyone, reme

Maid Side-Kick

I was kind of a little sad when I read the news about this - there will be no live-in Indonesian maids in Malaysia anymore . There are pros and cons to having a live-in maid, as with everything else, but for us, we enjoyed more pros than cons. Back then, when my kids were little, we brought in a family of maids to help with...well, just about everything, and we were like two families merged into one. They ate what we ate, we sleep, they sleep, we shop, they shop, they joke, we laugh, we joke, they laugh...for me, the maid I hired was more like a sister and side-kick to me. For that few years, I was dependent on her to mind-read my schedule and when I need or don't need help. She picked things up quickly and we ended up having lots of moments whereby we were in sync. Today, two of them are on my Facebook and we were gleefully chatting over Facebook Messenger since they've just discovered the wonders of the Internet and Social Media. Since we were more like partners in crim

Project Wolf Hunting (2022) - Film Review

Less than 10 minutes into the movie, I was already wondering why am I watching this show, and in the dead of the night.  But I was thinking to myself, I've toughened up quite a bit when it comes to things like these... Happiness , Signal , Sweet Home , Alice in Borderland , Vagabond , City Hunter , Tunnel ...these crime and sci-fi dramas and films I endured just so that I can watch my favorite actors in action...they must have really built me some mental muscles.  Usually, I am the late kind because I want to see what everyone has to say about it...so that I am prepared.  I will just present you with reasons to watch and reasons NOT to. Here goes.  REASONS TO WATCH If you like Seo In Guk , Jung So Min , Jang Dong Yoon , Sung Dong Il , or maybe even Im Ju Hwan , you might want to endure this film.  Hint : If you're a fan of Jang Dong Yoon, maybe watch it.  It's interesting. I know we have a lot of post apocalyptic world films all over the place now but this is a little diffe